NPHA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best Way to Start a dog out on Coon?

2 posters

Go down

Best Way to Start a dog out on Coon? Empty Best Way to Start a dog out on Coon?

Post  jhoffman Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:53 pm

I am just trying to some opinions on the best way to start dogs off on coon. I know everyone has their own method and opinion as to what is the best way to get them going but I would like to hear what some of you do with your dogs. I Had two dogs that i trained and got going a couple of years ago and both dogs turned out to be pretty decent pleasure dogs. I started off by letting them wool up a dead coon and then ran some drags until they seemed to get the hang of running a trail and then I just hunted them a lot with and without other dogs until they started treeing their own coon. Once they started treeing their own coon I pretty much hunted them alone and at least 3 times a week. I Wrapped a coon hide around a tennis ball and instead of shooting every coon out to them I would praise them at the tree real good and maybe every three or four trees I would walk up on the tree and shoot in the air and through that coon hide up so it would come down by the dog. and would let her shake it up a bit. Now these were the first dogs I trainned myself and i am sure I made mistakes in the process. I am sure I over did the drags. I have since talked to more people, read a lot on the topic and read all types of posts like this one to get ideas. I figure no one method is full proof but I figure there's got to be a method that works more often than not and puts your dogs in the position to succeed if they are going to be coon dogs. Also, what age would you wait till to start them out. I am figuring 10 - 12 months and they should be grown enough to deal with what ever comes their way should they happen to get into it with one while out in the woods.

jhoffman

Back to top Go down

Best Way to Start a dog out on Coon? Empty Re: Best Way to Start a dog out on Coon?

Post  MillenniumMagicPlotts Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:49 am

I think the best way is to hunt their mamma until she's about a week off of having them. I believe in imprinting and have seen good results with it. It seems the pups start so much earlier. My last batches I imprinted and then started them treeing on coon scent pretty early. I've tried many different things over the years and still adjusting here and there. Plus, I like to feed them boiled coon meat--old timer got me onto that one. Over the years I've come to keeping them in a controlled environment until I really see something. Lots of training can be done before you expose them to all the "other" game. Luckily, for the most part they've been mainly trash free. Maybe training or breeding, I believe it's a bit of both. I have a program I like to use and adjust it to ability and not age. It's just like little kids, some come equipped to take more on earlier and need to be challenged instead of wasting the potential.
MillenniumMagicPlotts
MillenniumMagicPlotts

Back to top Go down