Plott with Addisons Disease

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Plott with Addisons Disease

Post  mary keller on Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:49 am

I rescued a Plott in Brevard, NC. He's in every way a fantastic Plott, but gun shy, so not a great hunting dog. He's been a great pet for the past 5 years, but this summer he developed Addisons Disease; his adrenal glands no longer produce the steroid hormones they're supposed to. He now requires monthly steroid injections that are $170/month. My husband and I cannot afford it. I have searched everywhere for financial aid, but there is none to be found for our particular situation. Does anyone on here have any advice?

mary keller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Plott with Addisons Disease

Post  Gamegetter on Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:02 am

Check this web site out and see if you can find something there to help you out or take you down another path for help...Perkey

http://canineaddisonsinfo.com/Support.html

PLOTTS: They just love to Finish what they Start..!!

Tommy Perkey
Perkey Plott Hounds

Gamegetter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Plott Proud on Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:15 am

Mary ~ I see that Perkey has already posted a website loaded with information for you on this subject, but I wanted to share this with you as well.

The wife of a vet friend of mine shared this with me after I mentioned your situation to her;

The tumors are fairly rare and the cause is usually that the adrenal glands wear out. Don't know the cause for that. There are supplements that are supposed to be good for adrenal fatigue, but whether they would help with a dog that already has adrenal failure, I don't know.

Anyway, the stuff they use is expensive, and they're not really getting ripped-off, I guess, but the cost seems a little high, considering it's an every-month thing and the dog HAS to have it. It's probably not too cool to tell you this, from their vet's point of view, but our cost on the injection is $106.00. Spencer said he couldn't remember exactly what he charges for them, but we try to keep the cost down as much as we can. He said that he can prescribe the stuff and they can give the shots themselves (don't know if they're doing that now or if the vet makes them come in for the shots). But, Spencer can't do anything without seeing the dog. That's the law.

I didn't think to ask him how often the dog needs to have blood work done to keep an eye on things, or if it's necessary at all. The owners probably know that, anyway, but either Spencer would have to do that, or they'd have to have it done wherever they are and send it to us. It's still an awfully spendy proposition and it may not help a whole lot with their bottom line if it means a lot of travel expenses.

Standard Process (SP)has a product called Canine Adrenal Support. That's all I really know about that. They have excellent products, backed up by excellent research, but I don't know if these people are into trying alternative and nutritional support, or not. And, it would add to the cost, of course. Plus, SP would probably recommend other supplements in conjunction with that, and possibly a diet change. Not sure. They have great veterinarian "tech support" and Spencer can call and talk to them about it if the people are interested in checking that out. He wouldn't charge to do it. We don't know what the results of their studies are with the Addison's and their products.

Maybe you could find out the particulars and get back to us? I don't know if it's feasible for them to come here. Don't know if they live in Red Bluff -- or NY.

Dana
************************************************************************************

I then shared with her that you lived in NC, and the following was sent back to me;

Bummer. I'm sorry. I guess you could give them the info on the price of the shots. Maybe they can check around for a better deal...

Dana
Good Luck!
Irv

Plott Proud

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:53 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top