UKC's Horizon award

View previous topic View next topic Go down

UKC's Horizon award

Post  Paul Frederick on Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:28 pm

I've got maybe a dumb question: how does the NPHA determine the Horizon award winner every year? Whatever they do, they need to change it. Jonathan Mullinex has won it several times, don't they think someone else should get it? I'm sure he's deserving and all, but it looks bad when every other association awards it to a different kid every year, and here we dumb old Plott guys giving it to the same person.

Maybe I'm missing something, but this award wasn't designed to be given to the same person every year. Maybe they should make it where you can only win it once, then everyone else would have a chance.

I think the Black and Tan association has an essay or something you have to do. Maybe not even that much. My brother won it a couple of years ago. Of course they didn't have anything like this when I was growing up. I guess they Red Fern Award was still going there for a while, but they don't even have that now.

Paul Frederick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: UKC's Horizon award

Post  Plott Proud on Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:19 am

I have an idea of how its given out, but I'll wait to see if ALAN comes on here to answer or maybe a Board Member will answer. Then I'll see how close I was in my thinking. confused

Plott Proud

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackwater Plotts on Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:09 am

Paul ~ I was not a Director at the time this was voted on. However it is my understanding that the directors at the time were concerned with it being a popularity contest. They instead decided that whoever won the NPHA Youth Contest would also recieve the Horizon Award for the NPHA. You can read the rules for the Youth Contest in the NPHA yearbook. While I would have to agree that it would be nice to see more kids win the award I also feel they should earn the award and not have it given to them. I hope Jonathon doesn't see this and even considered editing his name out of your post. But instead I will just say that I feel he is very deserving of the award, he works hard for it. He also can be found helping out with the events at Plott Days and the BGN's when he can attend. While other young men and women his age are hanging out and taking it easy Jonathon is getting ready for an event he is competeing in or helping run one. He's handled many dogs for me and I can always count on him to take good care of my dogs while they are in his care. That being said I do agree that a limit of some sort would not hurt.

Blackwater Plotts
Admin

View user profile http://npha.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Plott Proud on Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:50 am

Blackwater Plotts wrote:Paul ~ While I would have to agree that it would be nice to see more kids win the award I also feel they should earn the award and not have it given to them. I will just say that I feel he is very deserving of the award, he works hard for it. He also can be found helping out with the events at Plott Days and the BGN's when he can attend. While other young men and women his age are hanging out and taking it easy Jonathon is getting ready for an event he is competeing in or helping run one. He's handled many dogs for me and I can always count on him to take good care of my dogs while they are in his care. .

The above quote was Paraphrased.

That pretty much sums up what I was thinking. I thought that it was truly due to the amount of events entered as well as a persons ability to conduct themselves properly with said events.

Jonathon DOES BOTH! There just needs to be more youth involved on a regular basis.

Plott Proud

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Frederick on Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:14 am

I agree he deserves it. He obviously does a good job with Plotts. I'm surprised the big game hunters don't throw a fit- how do their kids have a chance to win it? They never compete in NPHA youth events, so they have no chance. They need to rework the system. I agree it shouldn't be a popularity contest, but it looks bad in the Bloodlines if one person wins every time. There should be a limit to how many times a person can win it.

Again, I agree Jonathan deserves to win it, no doubt, but there should be a limit to how many times it can be given to the same person. Give the others kids a shot. If one person wins every year, the other kids are going to stop trying as hard to win it, they think they have no shot. What if someone's parents aren't as supportive? Maybe they don't get the chance to compete as much as someone else, what do we do with this kid? They never win it? Or even if their family doesn't have the money to go to as many hunts. The program needs to be reworked. Maybe have an essay contest (judged by the board of directors) you can only win once, etc. Make it as unbiased as you can. I know nothing is 100% unbiased. Look at the awards we give adults- When I vote I vote for someone I know because I don't know that many people in the Association.

The program needs to be redone somehow. All the other Associations have no problem giving it to someone different every year, we need to do the same.

Paul Frederick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Horizon Award

Post  joe polly on Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:43 am

Just like everything we need to work on it. I will tell you Jonathon works very hard for the NPHA.We need more kids like him within are Association. But to change anything it has to be brought up at the meeting at plott days.
So lets make plott days 2009 as big as it can be.I know we need to make some changes to let the members have more say of what goes on with this Association. And I also think it is time to alow the members to pick where and when plott days should be held.
And than I think we need to work on the Buckskin issue with DNA-VIP. (ok lets vote)
The list goes on and on. I think this is the year of change for the NPHA.
Lets just hope we change for the better.
Change is a big word affraid Dont be affraid its all goood.

joe polly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gamegetter on Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:08 am

Hey Joe, watch using that word CHANGE....I think I remember hearing that recently and I don't think its good change coming from the one I heard it from....hint...hint....Perkey

PLOTTS: They just love to Finish what they Start..!!

Tommy Perkey
Perkey Plott Hounds

Gamegetter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Frederick on Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:07 am

Sorry, been on the road and haven't had a chance to check this thread or reply.

I also think a lot of changes will come at Plott days this year. I'm not sure what all of them will be, but I know people are wanting things different.

I know Plott days will move location next year. Flora isn't going to bid again. I'm glad myself. I lived in Flora 24 years, its some of the best hunting in my opinion, but I like to leave the house for Plott days as well. Its a LOT of work to put on Plott days, you can't imagine. I'll be glad when its somewhere else and I can take it easy and enjoy the events a little more. BUT- you can't blame the directors for giving it to Flora again for 09. We handed them a bid no one could refuse. NPHA pays us $1 (one dollar), Flora club puts on a free hog roast feed for ANYONE IN ATTENDANCE on Wednesday night before Plott days (you do not have to be a member of the NPHA or the Flora Coon Club--we did this for Black and Tan days last year and are doing it again, it will be gooood eating for free!), all camping monies go to the NPHA youth fund. This is just some I can remember. But, like I said, we aren't putting a bid in again for 2010 to give us a break and the Association a chance to go somewhere else.

The truth is, Flora Coon Club could have any major event we wanted, but we like having Plott Days because the folks are so friendly. I'm glad they enjoy having NPHA days. I've heard of clubs that just wanted the quick buck from the NPHA and the hunt was crap. I don't think Flora does this.

I think a few other changes are coming, too. I think Buckskins will be voted in with DNA profiling. I don't agree with it, but if the majority does, I will go along with the vote.

Also I think it should be moved away from the first of August. Its too dang hot. I for one will take my kids out of school to go to Plott days. Quit using school for an excuse. Hunting sucks, weather is bad, and its hard on both vehicles and the hounds when its that hot.

I've got to go. I'll try to write more about Plott days later. I think I'll start a Plott days thread to outline what all is going on.

Keep 'em brindle!!

Paul Frederick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MillenniumMagicPlotts on Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:05 pm

Was just reading this and thought I can't believe it. My only thoughts are it sounds asinine! If the young man wins it every year because he best fits the criteria it should be changed? Or it should be changed because he wins it too many times? I'm sorry but this hits a nerve with me. Sounds like a few examples in the news, girls basketball team wins big and people say that it's horrible and make them feel bad so they want to forfeit the game; boys football team wins and scores a lot of points and parents are embarrassed on both sides, and so on.

What made America great was that we were competitive and worked hard and we were respected for it! We didn't try to change the rules, we just worked harder. We never tried to penalize a winner but applaud them for THEIR effort and hard work. And to rebutt if other kids won't try as hard because they don't think they would win. Well, then they shouldn't. If they want to win, then they should try harder. It's the American way or it was once upon a time! I forgot we are a liberalized nation now and have views closer to old communist Russia than Russians have nowadays.

MillenniumMagicPlotts

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:56 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top