NPHA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

who all has been runnin bears latley?

+2
Shane
tnhillbilly
6 posters

Go down

who all has been runnin bears latley? Empty who all has been runnin bears latley?

Post  tnhillbilly Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:44 am

who all has been taken advantage of these cooler nights/mornings? how has it been going? how are your dogs doin? got any pics?

tnhillbilly

Back to top Go down

who all has been runnin bears latley? Empty Re: who all has been runnin bears latley?

Post  tnhillbilly Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:06 am

i had been posting my bear hunting adventures on the general disc. but figured it would be more fitting to post them here so here goes. went fri. me and my buddy russell went he found a track we turned loose, strung the dogs out, they all took out of there made a pretty long race we went around the mtn to head them off, well there was three of them in front of the other dogs, they made it across hwy Shocked praise GOD they didn't get run over. anyway, got them cought up, went back up mtn to try and ghet the others cought up. had my two redticks and two plotts in the truck. was tracking the other dogs going back to where we turned them loose, so i decided to come off the mtn and go back around, WELL, as i was going arond curve, low and behold there was about a 150 pounder standing in the road Shocked so i done what any houndsman would have done Very Happy i pulled up and dropped the tailgate. turned redticks moon and star, my jewel, maltese plott female, and tinker belle my nibbles and otis pup they all went but got split, moon and jewel came across mtn and cought them crossing road at a well known bear crossing, could just barley track the other two, they werent moving much, i went in, way in, to try and figure out what was going on. finally got up high enough to get a good beep on them. finally gought up with them, the plott pup finally came out in the road below me. finally got star cought with bight marks on the hip.

tnhillbilly

Back to top Go down

who all has been runnin bears latley? Empty Re: who all has been runnin bears latley?

Post  Shane Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:31 am

Thanks for sharing hopefully we can get some more guys out there to share some also.
Shane
Shane

Back to top Go down

Post  tnhillbilly Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:51 am

thanks shane, i posted sat. hunt too but for some reason it didn't post, will try and post it again. anyway thanks, figured maybe if i started some would follow. will try and get more pics too.

tnhillbilly

Back to top Go down

Post  Gamegetter Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:36 pm

You've got this thread labeled right...Running bears...lol....That's about all we're doing....Alot of long chases and when they do climb they don't stay up long....I've gotten a few pics of some that have stayed up and I'll post them later...Perkey
Gamegetter
Gamegetter

Back to top Go down

Post  Plott Proud Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:08 am

2 more weeks around here before we can get into the woods. Then it's only with 1 dog per hunter for the next 35 or so day while deer season is still in. Then it's full tilt!
I can't wait!
So until then I'll just sit back and read what ya'll have been up to.

I know Pocahontas has been doing some catching. Give us an update G-Man! Smile

Take it easy!
Irv
Plott Proud
Plott Proud

Back to top Go down

Post  tnhillbilly Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:56 am

going to try this again, this was sat. hunt. woke up about 4 a.m. moving slow and stiff as a board from hunting all week Sad went thru dogs to see which ones were able to go, so i loaded moon, jewel,onyx pup, and tinker belle. got to woods about 15 mins after they turned loose on one, so i caught a little gouging for bieng late Very Happy so i just parked and waited to see which way it was going to go. didn't get far and they had it stopped. so i flew up to a trail that led in to where the dogs were, and of course during all the exitment on the radio i got my directions crossed up and went up the wrong holler. i just sat tight in case it come out my way i would be in the drivers seat. one of the fellers finaly made it in there and said it was in a hole under a log pile, then he said, ITS RUNNIN, ITS RUNNIN, came down right behind me and went straight down the creek, so i ran back down the trail and packed my four dogs, man it was sure soundin good, solid ROAR. so i ran down the creek to try and get in front of it to keep it in the general vecinity. well, that didnt work, every time i would try to get in front of him i was always a few mins to slow. it would walk a while and stop a while.
He finaly crossed out, out of hearing, so we spent bout the next 45 mins trying to figure out which way it was going to go, and if it would try to cross road anywhere. we finally got around the mtn and got them pin pointed again. we were right above them and man they were still soundin good. exept we could hear dogs getting cought, so we decided to try and get in there and catch the ones that were hurt. It finaly made its way around to a road, same spot the one crossed the day before. i drove on down and went in on a road to try and get in front of them again, and of course i was just behind them again, when i heard russell holler on the radio and say that it just tried to cross the road, but he had turned it. we cought bout half the dogs there where it had tried to cross. my jewel female had been hit in the hip but was o.k. didn,t see any marks on moon, thought she had made it without a scratch til i went to load her in the truck, and she squaled out when i went to pick her up, her side at her last few ribs was real mushy. my 10 month old onyx pup fell out bout 1/2 way thru got bit in the front leg and hip, tink fell out pretty early in the race without a scratch, i think only 2 other dogs got hit. they all will live to hunt another day. bear finally treed couple hrs later, cought four more dogs at tree, while catching them four the bear came down and two pups that were still there left out with the bear AGAIN Shocked
so i got a pup and an old dog that is out of commission for a while, but will be o.k. let the others rest from sat to tue. training season opened up in tn today, so i am going to try it again in the morning Very Happy if i keep going at this pace i wont have any dogs to hunt come kill season lol! guess thats part of it. so far its been a really great training season.
happy and safe hunting to all, lets hear some more hunting tales, looking forward to hearing them when you other fellers get to hunting.

tnhillbilly

Back to top Go down

Post  tnhillbilly Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:03 am

PERKEY, i know what you mean, i thought i was the only one with that problem, seems like everyone we get on don't want to tree. so far we have only had one that got treed and wanted to stay that way and that was the one in the pics. i know the dogs were doin there job, cause they got the battle scars, but man these bears are stubborn Mad

tnhillbilly

Back to top Go down

Post  Scout Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:00 am

Gettin ready to. I'm picking up a new female Plott tommorrow, she is only 8 months. It will be interesting this year. This is my second year bear hunting and really the first year with my own dog. Any suggestions? I figured I'd try her on a couple of coons and then go to bear with a couple of my buddies dogs who will be hot this year.

Scout

Back to top Go down

Post  tnhillbilly Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:59 am

SCOUT, everybody has their own way of starting young dogs, but that is the way i start mine, on coon first, so they get an idea of whats going on as far as trailing and treeing, and builds their confidence a little.
WED. hunt. never turned a dog loose. The weather was terrible, it came one thunder storm right after another. so i just helped some of the fellers look for their dogs that were gone from the day before. hopefully mother nature will be more cooperative tomorrow. Very Happy

tnhillbilly

Back to top Go down

Post  Pocahontas Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:17 am

Swervin;
Five days huntin!!!!!!!Ten Bear treed. Wink

Pocahontas

Back to top Go down

Post  Scout Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:44 am

Thanks tnhillbilly, I've got the live trap set to get a coon or 2. This female is from the Tellico area, I hope she turns out. I think she may have rigged somethin on the way home. She was quiet and then went to barking for about 500 feet give or take and then was quiet again. Made me wonder anyway.

Scout

Back to top Go down

Post  tnhillbilly Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:11 am

went this morning, only me hunting. tried rigging road, but don't really have a rig dog. so i hit the brush. went down back creek, got all the way to the bottom dogs struck, found a HUGE set of tracks, it was a pretty cold track, dogs left out opening very little. and never got it up Crying or Very sad oh yeah, could have drove around and went in the bottom and walked right to it, in a matter of minutes. Mad try it again tommorrow.

tnhillbilly

Back to top Go down

Post  tnhillbilly Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:28 am

well, havn't had much luck this week, tn training season opened, so i came to tn to hunt this week, the weather was TERRIBLE first part of week, rain and thunderstorms. Not going to get to hunt much next two weeks, maybe wed, fri and sat. called a buddy of mine, he is going to go tues, night and knows where a few are, so i might try the night hunting. Shocked my moon female is going to be out of commission for a while, hopefully my 10 month old onyx pup will be healed up and ready to go again in a couple of weeks.

tnhillbilly

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down