NPHA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Plott Breed Standaed

+7
bert52
Gamegetter
Dennis Fisher
Plott Proud
fred harroun
Shane
Tim Hickman
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Plott Breed Standaed - Page 2 Empty Re: Plott Breed Standaed

Post  ROWDYPLOTT Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:12 am

I AM WITH FRED ON THIS. WE NEED TO SETTLE THIS SO AS NOT TO SPLIT OR HINDER OUR ASSOCIATION. I THINK THAT A PLOTT SHOULD BE BRINDLE, NO SOLID COLORS.

MIKE WRIGHT
ROWDYPLOTT
ROWDYPLOTT

Back to top Go down

Post  ldrigg71 Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:59 am

I mean no disrespect to Mr. Wright or anyone else, but my feelings are if the men behind the plott breed felt solid colors were acceptable,why cant we. I am not an expert on the plott breed. I got into plotts because I wanted something a little different to hunt. I would definately like to see the breed remain true to its origins as best we know them. As well as remain true to its hunting heritage. It would be expensive to incorporate DNA testing for all dogs but if the issue is making sure a plott is a plott and the parents are who they are claimed to be. Isnt DNA testing about $50? If these costs were paid by the breeder,the costs would be(probably) passed to the buyer. The buyer wanting the most dog for his money, would be more selective on what line he buys. Thereby weeding out (to some degree)the breeders who are breeding for the purpose of putting pups on the ground. I feel this would prevent people from breeding inferior dogs due to the extra costs. Only the ones who are serious about the breed would be breeding. Again I mean no disrespect to anyone and am not trying to put down anyones breeding program. I am by no means an authority.

ldrigg71

Back to top Go down

Post  Shane Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:05 am

Mike thanks for responding, could you please state why you feel other plotts should not be included? I have asked this many times and no one has ever stepped up . Please give us your reason of your opinion . Thank you.
Shane
Shane

Back to top Go down

Post  tnhillbilly Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:52 am

i don't think we should stray from the original breed standard, if there were buckskins on the boat that brought them here and were the foundation of our plotts of today and that the solid black plotts were o.k. then then they should be o.k. now. a plott is a plott. even if a certain few decided to breed for color (buckskin or solid black) there are still enough brindle dogs out there that they wont go extinct. and because it is in there genes, even if you breed a bs to a bs you will still get brindle dogs, and as far as breeding inferior dogs, well its been going on for a long time and always will. i have seen several classified adds lately about these show dogs for high prices that the seller will say they aint worth a dime in the woods but they sure are purdy. Shocked i personally don't own either bs or solid, but have in the past, had bs pup out of two brindle plotts. in my 15+ yrs with the plott breed i have seen all kinds of color patterns some that were'nt solid or bs that in my opinion were very questionable, but according to the current standard are within the standard. DEFINITLY NOT trying to ruffle any feathers, just my .02. just saying a plott is a plott. why would we want to change what they were originaly supposed to be? say you been breeding for 10 yrs and breed best to best, cull hard, hunt hard, paying no mind to color for breeding, just ability, and now you are getting a solid color here and there or a bs would all this hard work, time and money be in vain, and now all of a sudden your dogs can't be recognized just because thet are solid or bs which was what they were originally bred from? this is another question i have and "NOT" directing this toward any individual, so please don't anyone take this the wrong way. but, could some of these bs or solid dogs be out doing some of these brindle dogs in some of these comps. and people are trying to eliminate some comp. (just a question)

tnhillbilly

Back to top Go down

Post  ldrigg71 Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:26 am

As Plott enthusiasts,are we breeding for performance or are we breeding for pretty? The ideal product of our hard work would be looks and ability.

ldrigg71

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2