NPHA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bear hunting VA

+3
Plott Proud
Pocahontas
Gamegetter
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bear hunting VA Empty Bear hunting VA

Post  Gamegetter Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:00 am

Well day 2 of our kill season was a lil' better than the opening day....I was running late to get to the mountains and heard over the radio that the guys I hunt with had already turned loose on my way down...So I stayed on the North side of the mountain and the dogs brought it over to my side...I heard them coming off the mountain down a big hollow and I got my dogs out of the truck...Well i thought mine had heard the others so I turned them loose and they went the hollow a lil' and turned and started going straight up the hollow....I figured they would cross the track and go to the tree but thats what I get for thinking.. Rolling Eyes So I started to the tree and when I got there the other dogs had him "bushed"...But nowhere were my dogs to be found.. Question Question So the others made it to the tree and I said I got to go and find mine that I turned loose to them...When I got back to the truck I could hear them bout 1/2 mile away going down the mountain and up on the next...Well I turned around and went in that direction and after about 2 hours they treed but on private land...Then I heard a big ruckus and I guess he came out and my dogs ran him a lil' futher but just gassed out I reckon and I picked them up about 2 hours later...Wish I could have got to the tree but there's always another day...The first bear tree had bout a 125 lb. young un' in it...Here's a pic...Perkey

Bear hunting VA P1020088

Bear hunting VA P1020087
Gamegetter
Gamegetter

Back to top Go down

Bear hunting VA Empty Re: Bear hunting VA

Post  Pocahontas Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:27 am

Perky;
Sounds like you guys are getting started out just fine. Is Mr. Clark getting to hunt? I got six more days to wait .Hope the weather improves or it's going to be tough on us.

Pocahontas

Back to top Go down

Post  Plott Proud Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:02 am

Heck man, after a few more races like that those dogs will be makin' ol' Mr. Bruin really look for a tree.

Perkey, do you ever hunt with or around a Mr Radford? I believe it's either Darrell or Doyle. I met him a few years back in WI at the Bear Hunters Rights Coalition seminar.
Seemed to be a really nice guy.
Heck man, most of us from Virginia are any way! Cool

Good Luck and keep the pics coming Buddy!
Irv
Plott Proud
Plott Proud

Back to top Go down

Post  Gamegetter Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:16 am

Irv--No I don't know him but the name sounds real familiar...

Gene--The start for the season has been good for some of us but me...We've had 3 trees in the past 3 days and I have yet to have a dog at the tree...I don't know why or whats going on...We turned 9 dogs (3 mine) loose this morning on decent track and when I got to the tree a couple of hours later none of my dogs were there...???...I don't know if they want to be independent, don't want to run with certain other dogs or what...I'm going to do something different 2mar and see whats going on...This is really aggervating.. Evil or Very Mad ...I know what they are cable to do that's what bothers me...I don't sugar coat things...I'll tell it like it is and try to go from there...That young male pup that Freddie got from you is doing a great job!!..He's a lil over a year old and is doing it like a 4 or 5 year old...That pup has really impressed me so far...Hope I have a dog under the tree 2mar if we bush one.....our group split this morning and we treed 2..I'll post some pics 2mar of the one from today....Perkey
Gamegetter
Gamegetter

Back to top Go down

Post  Gamegetter Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:18 am

Gene--and yes Albert is still beating around in the mountains with us...He'll never quit and I told him that today....Perkey
Gamegetter
Gamegetter

Back to top Go down

Post  Pocahontas Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:27 am

Perky knowing your dogs background I would say there is a rough dog or dogs there at the tree. JMO Tell albert I said hello and to come us. Good luck 2mar.

Pocahontas

Back to top Go down

Post  Gamegetter Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:05 am

I've got several pictures to post of the first 5 days of our kill season here...We've had 6 trees in five days that we've got under and that don't count the ones that we treed and bailed out before we got there...I'll post some pics 2mar or Sunday if i get a chance...Going to hit it hard again in the morning..bounce bounce.....Perkey
Gamegetter
Gamegetter

Back to top Go down

Post  Gamegetter Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:01 am

Well I finally found time to get back on here and tell yall how the season is going...For the first week we treed a total of 7 bears in 6 days...Things have started off pretty good for us as a group..(which is about 5 of us and 12-15 Plotts) My Plotts finally realized why we're out there and started doing better...lol....I think Major has/had whip worms because he didn't act like him self for the first couple of days and I got some panacur in him and he seems to be acting alot better and hunting harder..He made it from start to finish Sat. on a nice sow bear...My lil Crockett gyp is digging in and showing alot of grit and tree power...(see the video)...We as a group have taken 2 bear so far and one was by a doctor (192 sow) and the other (174 sow) was a 75 year old man..This was his first bear he has ever taken and was like a teenager at the tree...(after I helped lead him down the mountain to the tree... Smile ..)...We've had a couple of dogs get hurt but not real bad and I hope it stays that way...One almost lost an eye and the other got busted up in the ribs....The weather has pretty good for us so far..Enough of the typing for now..I'll just show ya some pics.....Perkey

Bear hunting VA P1020116

Bear hunting VA P1020117

Bear hunting VA P1020133

Bear hunting VA P1020139

Bear hunting VA P1020146

Bear hunting VA P1020159

Bear hunting VA P1020157

Bear hunting VA P1020163

Bear hunting VA P1020130

Bear hunting VA P1020128
Gamegetter
Gamegetter

Back to top Go down

Post  Gamegetter Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:24 am

Here's the video of Major and Akita at the tree Sat....Perkey

Bear hunting VA Th_P1020167

This is a video of the one they were treeing on we let go....Nice big sow bear....Perkey

Bear hunting VA Th_P1020172
Gamegetter
Gamegetter

Back to top Go down

Post  Plott Proud Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:11 pm

Lookin' Good Perkey!! Nice Pics!
I take it your Crockett dog is that nice Brindle in the strike cage and on the right at the tree.
They really looked as though they wanted to run that thing again. Man what an opportunity for young dogs to be released on something that they see come out and run off like that.
I don't know if the time was getting away from you that day or she was heading to a bad spot or what. I know with that one from earlier in our season the day was running out on us. Otherwise we'd have turned them loose. Twisted Evil

Good Luck in the rest of your hunts! Keep us updated.

Irv
Plott Proud
Plott Proud

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Bickford Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:41 am

Tommy, I am glad to see you getting the little gyp in the woods, man she was rounding them chops off at that tree..... Glad to see ole Major still getting with the program.... How's BB doing? & Chase? Keep the photo's comming...... & I am going to raise some more pups from the crockett gyp this spring but from a different male, shouldn't have any problems with the legs this time.....Biggun
Jason Bickford
Jason Bickford

http://www.geocities.com/sourwoodmtnplotts

Back to top Go down

Post  Gamegetter Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:19 am

Jason---All has been going pretty good so far this season..As a group we have treed 13 in 12 hunting days and not all of them we hunted....had to take a few days off to rest dogs...BB is doing good this year and Albert has started rigging him and he is doing a good job...My Major dog (his Littermate) has been doing a good job rigging as well...I've started rigging Akita and at a lil' over a year old she rides the rig like an old dog and strikes real hard on a track or scent...I plan to breed these two together when she comes in on one of the next two cycles she has...(Feb./Mar or Aug.)...Depends on how things go...Chase has been doing a pretty good this year as well...He strikes really well off the rig and has good track speed and grit on the ground...I just wish he had more tree power...If the bear is sitting in the tree he just stares at him and barks a few times....If its moving around in the tree he really picks up the barking...I've been thinking of selling him if I make the cross from Major to Akita to make room for a pup outta that cross...Hard decision to make...I've got to work all next week so I won't be hunting til next Sat.....Perkey
Gamegetter
Gamegetter

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Drumm Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:26 am

GOOD VIDEO PERKEY ...

Andy Drumm

http://www.smithdealsociety.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jackiec Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:57 am

That was great video.

Jackie
Bear Run Kennels

jackiec

Back to top Go down

Post  Gamegetter Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:55 am

Thanks guys...Its been a long hard week at work and I'm ready to get back in the woods... cheers bounce cheers ....Perkey
Gamegetter
Gamegetter

Back to top Go down

Post  Plott Proud Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:59 am

Perkey ~ You've gotta tell me how to download the video onto the photobucket site. I've never done that.

GO GET EM' SON!! Cool
Plott Proud
Plott Proud

Back to top Go down

Post  Gamegetter Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:10 am

Plott Proud wrote:Heck man, after a few more races like that those dogs will be makin' ol' Mr. Bruin really look for a tree.

Perkey, do you ever hunt with or around a Mr Radford? I believe it's either Darrell or Doyle. I met him a few years back in WI at the Bear Hunters Rights Coalition seminar.
Seemed to be a really nice guy.
Heck man, most of us from Virginia are any way! Cool

Good Luck and keep the pics coming Buddy!
Irv

Irv are you talking about Warren Radford? If so he was the President of VBHA...Real nice man...I've met him a couple of times....Perkey
Gamegetter
Gamegetter

Back to top Go down

Post  Plott Proud Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:00 pm

That would be the man, Perkey. As you said, Very nice man!
Plott Proud
Plott Proud

Back to top Go down

Post  Gamegetter Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:58 am

Treed a nice boar bear yesterday and it gave a good chase....Started with a strike early in the morning and we turned 12 dogs loose and within 5 to 10 mins we had him "bushed"...The dogs must have jumped him right outta his bed and treed him on the next ridge...We drove around to the top of the mountain and went out the top to the tree...I went out a lil further than the other 2 guys and came straight down on the dogs and as soon as ol' blackie seen me he bailed and the race was on again....The dogs treed him again at the bottom of the mountain and we went off to him....This time he found a hardwood and climbed way up this thing....We gathered up the dogs and called it a day...The boar bear weighted around 250 and after the second chase he didn't want any thing to do with these Plotts....We were going to let a young boy knock him out but it treed on another lease so we let it go for another day....Here are some pics...Perkey

Bear hunting VA P1020188

Bear hunting VA P1020189

Major and Zipper treed
Bear hunting VA P1020192
Gamegetter
Gamegetter

Back to top Go down

Post  Plott Proud Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:46 am

Sounds really good Perkey! How much season do you guys have left over there?
Good luck through the remainder!

Take it easy!
Irv
Plott Proud
Plott Proud

Back to top Go down

Post  Pocahontas Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:17 am

Perky; Dang you boys are tearing them up over there. I need to send you some of our weather to protect what's left. We took a nicin yesterday. Didn't go today (weather horrible). Must be getting old. LOL

Pocahontas

Back to top Go down

Post  Gamegetter Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:04 am

Irv--our season ends Sat.

Gene---The weather was terrible here as well...Wind blowing about 35-40 mph and gusts over 60... No And it was freezing cold as the day went on...

Started a cold track this morning and the dogs didn't do much with it but my Major dog seem to find a deer I think to run and I spent half the morning trying to catch him...After I got him some guys on the lease next to us brought a nice bear (bout 200) over the mountain and ame over on to our lease and it was a mean one...It tore up several dogs...They had it stopped for a lil bit up on the mtn. but it came off and I got to see it cross the road but didn't have my dogs or truck....Then they seen one cross the road up the mountain and the ones that had dogs turned loose on it and treed on the other end of the mountain...They took a first time shooter in and he got to fill his tag....About a 150 lb. boar bear...I didn't make it to that tree so I don't have pics of it...Got three more days left...When I get a chance I'll post a lil video of how hard the wind was blowing....Perkey
Gamegetter
Gamegetter

Back to top Go down

Post  Plott Proud Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:15 am

I know how that wind can get!

I've NEVER seen it blow like it does over here in the winter man!!

It's no fun at all when hunting. Can't hear the dogs for very long as it is. Let alone all that wind!
GOOD LUCK Perkey!!
Irv
Plott Proud
Plott Proud

Back to top Go down

Post  Gamegetter Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:06 am

Windy day video:

Bear hunting VA Th_P1020204
Gamegetter
Gamegetter

Back to top Go down

Post  Gamegetter Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:23 am

Had another good day today...The wind finally laid down and we went looking...Walked out the top of the mountain and seen alot of sign but no strikes so we went back to the trucks and started rigging for a track...At about 3:30 one of the guys got a strike off the wind and we cut loose...It was kinda a cluster at first but we got the dogs right and within about 45 mins had it treed...It was a yound sow bear that was about 130 lbs...It tried to come out of the first tree when we got there but the Plotts didn't think much of that and sent her back up the next tree about 10 ft. away...It was a good race with a good tree...Here's some pics....Perkey

Bear hunting VA P1020222

Bear hunting VA P1020226

Bear hunting VA P1020229

Akita treed:
Bear hunting VA P1020218

Major treed:
Bear hunting VA P1020215

Zipper treed:
Bear hunting VA P1020212
Gamegetter
Gamegetter

Back to top Go down